Wednesday, May 9, 2012

My Family: Chapter 71

           The Language that I used when, I was growing up in the Coalfields of Logan, WV.

Much of it is descended from Elizabethan English with a healthy dose of Gaelic thrown in.

 Word Phrases


Paper bags = {Poke}, When buying in a store, yaw ask fir a poke please.
Closet = {Press}, Get yer coat from tha Press.
Chest of Drawers = {Shiftin Robe}, wuz yer clothes in tha shiftin robe.
Butter Knife = {Case Knife}, Hand me a case knife fir tha butter.
Blanket = {Civer}, Ium cold please give me some more of yer civer.
Soda = {Pop}, Boy zat thar is a good flavor pop.
Ride = {Carry}, Will ye carry me to tha store?
Mess = {Goming}, ye sure are making a goming out of yer room.
Place = {Yonder}, Ium meet ye in, or over yonder.
Lied = {Wallow}, Yaw have wallow around all day long.
Call = {Holler}, Did yaw here me holler fir ye?
Wrong = {Shucks}, Ah shucks Ium sorry.
Distant = {Piece}, Just a little piece up tha hollow.

Found = {Scraped}, Tha hat ye scraped up fir me is fine.

Asphalt Road = {Hard Road}, Watch fir cars on tha hard road.
Broil = {Boil}, Are ye going to boil tha steak?
Hurry = {Hieing}, Yaw comin hieing over here: when ye want something.
Affair = {Cuckles}, A married woman cockles’ her husband.
Wash = {Wosh}, Ium Goin wosh yer face.
Yellow = {Yeller} Waddn yer dress pert near yeller.
White = {light} If’n ye go to tha store get a loaf of light bread.
Wasp = { Wasper} watch out fur tha wasper its go’n sting ye.
 
One syllable words are turned into two syllables

day-um = damn or dam
way-ul = well

Nouns, Adjectives and Pronoun

far = fire

tar = tire

yaw = you all

ul = oil

eyes = I was...
mole lady = my old lady
Ium = I’m
Lesh = let us
Dinna = do not
HEIDI = hello
HIRE YEW = how you
BORROW = bard
MUNT = month
BARE = beer
RANCH = tool
TIRE = tower
RETARD = retired
FAT = fight
RAT = right
FARN = foreign
ARE = air
JEW = did you
HERE = hear
HAZE = he is
SEED = to see

An unneccessary "t" is added:

Holdt = hold
Acrosst = across
Oncet = once
Twicet = twice
Foundt = found


No "th" allowed (except "tha" which means "the">:

Air = their, there or hour
Ay = they
Em = them
Zat = that

The "or" sound is replaced by "er":

Er = or

Yer = your
Fer = for
Ye = you

Some words are outright mutilations:

Imull = i am going to...
Jever = did you ever...?
Jaw = did you all...?

Waddn = wasn't

Idn = isn't
Zit = is it...?
Zat = is that...?


Confused tense:

I seen...
They was...(pronounced "ayz")
Them is... (pronounced "emz")


Sample sentences:

Oncet eyes wawkin' acrosst th' Bluestone day-um an' I seen th' biggest ole carp they ever wuz.

Zat yers?

Emz tha best roastin' ears an' haif runners I eat all summer.
Jever wonder why people around here tawk funny?

No comments:

Post a Comment