Tuesday, May 1, 2012

My Family: Chapter 65

The reason I broke off with Charles was because I didn’t love him and I thought he should find someone that did.  Charles was such a sweet, innocent person. He began to drink after I broke off with him and he would complain to my parents and cousin, Tommy; I lost Tommy friendship over it.  Later after I moved away and would come home to visit my parents, they would tell Charles I was there and he would come over to see me. 

This one time when I came home, I was married and had my oldest daughter.   Charles came over to see me, and my husband got very upset but he couldn’t say anything because it wasn’t his house.  He just walked out of the room and Charles asked me if I was happy, and if I wasn't he would be glad to take me back, I could bring the baby and he would treat her like his own. He said he still had my ring. I told him I was very happy, and he didn’t come back to visit after that.  When I next heard about him, he had gotten married.  My parents found him another girlfriend, it was a lady they paled around with and she was older than Charles, they later got married and had a son.
Even though we had moved away, the hollow and it's ghosts still found me.  I was working in a 5&10 cent store (to make more money) when a customer said that she knew me.  She said wasn't I that girl who used to live across the street from her who's parents fought all the time. I was so embarrassed, this customer said this in front of a line of other customers.  Mom and Dad were still the same in Ohio as they had been on the hollow - drinking and fighting on the weekends but this time it was a little different someone would call the police when they got too loud.  When we first moved into the apartment, my parent's went out to a bar where Mom got into a fight with another woman.   The police were called and they put her in jail. She had to spend a week in jail because neither Dad nor I had the money to get her out.  Eventually, Dad did get the money from somewhere and got her out of jail. I never asked him about, Mom was home and that's all I cared about.
Uncle Vondon sent Lucille home while we still lived on Monroe, we had to move from the second floor apartment to the first floor in order to have more room.  One night while Lucille and I were sleeping, we heard a noise at the window in the bedroom. Someone was pounding on the window to get us to answer the door. Since Lucille was next to the window she parted the curtains and peeked out.  She said the milkman was banging on the window.  Milkman? I took a peek out the window,  it wasn't the milkman it was two policemen.  They yelled through the window that they had a report of a fight at our address. We said not at our house and we sent them over to where Bob and Gina lived behind us because we figured it was Mom and Dad since they spent most of the weekends drinking at Bob and Gina's.  Dad later told me it was the couple who own the other half of the house where we had our apartment. Our apartment house was a double house with one side made into apartment and the other side where just one family live.

No comments:

Post a Comment