Wednesday, May 2, 2012

My Family: Chapter 66

This is the story of how I met my husband:
        
While I was still working at the Bev, I had a friend, Pat, who worked as an inside waitress.  After my shift would end I would go inside and wait for my bus to come. I sat in a booth and visited with Pat while she was on break. Pat was dating a guy named Joe, he was in the Army and stationed at the Army base about a mile up the street.  Sometimes Joe would come in while Pat and I were sitting together and he would walk over to where we were and just look at her then storm away.  I asked Pat what’s wrong with him and she would said he was mad because she sat there talking instead of greeting him.  I thought he was awful and I didn’t like him at all. 
There was another waitress, Jean, who worked at the Bev and she liked a customer by the name Bob. One day, Pat and Joe got engaged and she showed us all the ring Joe bought her. Shortly after, Pat decided that she didn’t love Joe anymore, she was now in love with Bob.  Pat would leave work early and Bob picked her up on the curb.  Jean found out what they were doing by accident, but the girls on the curb knew they had been meeting for a long time.  Pat and Jean began to have a war over Bob, however, Jean won this war because Pat’s father came in and told the Bev’s manger Pat was too young to be working there.  See she had just turned seventeen and you were suppose to be eighteen to work there.  Pat's dad also brought her three sons with him and in those days, having children out of wedlock was a no-no.  So that killed everyone’s love for Pat and she was immediately fired from her job. 
However, the soap opera continued. While Jean was in love with Bob, Joe's best friend, Rob, was stationed with him at the Depot  and he was head over heels in love with Jean.  He was always hanging around trying to get a date with her but she would never give him the time of day. So when Bob came on the scene, Robert gave up and went to Detroit for the weekend where he had been previously stationed. He knew a girl there named Eileen and he brought her back to Ohio as his wife. He must have thought Jeannie would be sorry she lost him. Much later,  I got to know Eileen and she told me she knew why Rob had married her but she didn’t care she loved him anyway. However, Rob's plan backfired as Jeannie told me Rob could marry as many women as he wanted, she loved only Bob.  Robert and Eileen got a divorce after a year and Eileen went back to Detroit.

It wasn't too long before Joe found out about Pat cheating on him and broke their engagement. Now when I went inside to wait on my bus I would sit in a booth and Joe would come talk to me. I didn’t like him any better and I was always glad to see it was time for me to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment