Friday, May 4, 2012

My Family: Chapter 68

The next day, we went for a coffee at the Bev and when the three of us walked in everybody just stared at us. After we were sat down in a booth, Joe got up to go to the men's room. The place was full with soldiers from the base. Some of them asked me what I was doing going out with Joe, and I think each one took a turn to ask me to leave with him while Joe was in the bathroom. Ed told me not to walk out with any of them, I just laughed. When Joe came out of the bathroom, Ed told him that he almost lost his date, but Joe didn’t make any comment. 

Joe has a sister who had met and married a man from Lorain, Ohio about a hundred miles from Columbus. She had moved to Lorain to live with her husband so they could be close to his family. They just had a baby boy and the her family had been invited to come in February for the baby’s Christening.  Joe talked Mick, Vickie, and me into going with him to the Christening and meet his family. When we got there, I felt very uncomfortable (like everybody was staring at me) and wished I had stayed home.  

Joe's mother was there, she sat down beside me and asked me a lot of questions like where I was from, how long have I known Joe. By this time, I had seen and talk to Joe almost every day for a year. I knew more about her son than she did. I explained her I knew him from coming in the place where I worked. That's when she told me not to think Joe was going to marry me. I told her not to   worry we weren't even serious about each other and had no plans to get married. I wasn’t even sure that I like him yet as a person.
Alma & Joe's wedding day
Joe and I officially dated from January 1st to May 6th,  when we got married.  Dad told me that if I married Joe, he would disown me, and wouldn’t come to the wedding. I didn’t believe him about disowning me, but I knew he wouldn’t come and see me get married. Mom, Shirley, Bonnie, and Ronnie were all there but I don’t know where Lucille was? I talked to Aunt Eloise, she is the one who arranged for the minister to come to her house and marry us.  I was one hour late but Joe was a half hour later than I was.  He had to pick up the license, and they weren’t ready so he had to wait for it. We had just applied for the license three days before. We got married five days after I said yes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment