Thursday, May 3, 2012

My Family: Chapter 67

Another waitress at the Bev, Vickie, had a husband, Mick, who worked at a pet store nearby.  Joe worked there part-time as well.  Vickie and Mick decided to have a New Year's Eve party and they invited everyone to go. They even asked me to come but I refused and told them I didn’t have a way there. I thought that would be the end of it but they explained they could get Joe to pick me up. I panicked and I told them my Dad wouldn't allow me go with him by myself.  They said Joe was going to picked up another girl first and then come get me. I couldn't see a way out of it, so I agreed as long as Joe picked up this other girl first. I really didn’t want to go to this party, so as I got ready I made up my mind that when Joe came to get me, I was going to back out and tell him I wasn’t going. 
Joe knocked on the door and before I could say anything he told me Darlene's boyfriend had come home on leave and she wasn’t coming with us.  He also explained that when he pulled up in front of the house he got stuck in the snow and wanted to know if we have a shovel to help dig himself out.
By the time he got out of the snow, I felt so sorry for all the trouble he had gone through I decided I should go to the party.  After we got on our way, he explained he had to stop by the Bev to pick up Ed, a cripple boy, who always hung out at the Bev and talked to the girls. Ed would often come out on the curb and talk to me for hours; I think he had a crush on me. He was the same age as me and lived about one street down from the Bev.  He walked there on his crutches. 
When we got to the Bev,  Rob and Eileen were there. They had with them a friend of Rob's, John,  who had been station with him in Detroit.  John had stopped for a visit on his way home to Cincinnati, Ohio for the holidays. Since we were late picking up Ed, they saw him standing out in front of the Bev and had stop to give him a ride.

After we had been at the party for awhile John came into the room where Ed and I were talking. He looked at me and said he was taking me home. I said no he wasn’t that I came with Joe and I was going home with him.  John got very upset.  He asked me why I wouldn’t let him take me home; he knew Joe wasn’t my boyfriend because he had already ask about me and I was there by myself. I just said I was going home with Joe.  Ed told him he had his answer and to leave me alone. I have to say that he was the cutest and sexiest man that I had ever seen but I didn’t trust him.  Later, Joe took me home while Ed sat up in the front seat with us. When they drop me off,  Joe asked me if I would like to go for coffee with him and Ed the next day and I said sure why not.

No comments:

Post a Comment