Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My Family: Chapter 29

Mom never tried to hide her affairs from us. She had a boyfriend who lived in Dabney below us. He was a miner and drove the coal truck so he had to pass our house every day. He dumped the slate up on the mountain. He’d come and see her every morning between 7:00 and 7:30am after Dad went to work. He’d was there when we got up to go to school. Mom and him stayed out in the bathhouse because he never came into the house. 

One day he just stopped coming to the house. I guess his wife found out and put a stop to it. Mom started messing around with her first cousin, Bert. He and Mom met in church, of all places. Bert was just released from prison for murder and had come to live at Lyburn where his ex-wife and son lived. He just wanted to be close to his son. Bert opened a hot dog stand next to the Lyburn Church. Mom, Shirley, and I would catch the church bus which would pick us up in front of our house and go to church. After church, we would all go over to Bert’s hot dog stand, he would then drive us home. Shirley and I weren’t stupid, we knew Bert and Mom were messing around. 

Dad had his girlfriends, as well. One time, he and I were in Logan together and a woman came up to us and yelled at Dad. She look as if she was going to hit me. Dad stepped between us and told her I was his daughter. She couldn’t be nice enough to me than. Dad asked me not to say anything to Mom and I never did. I forgot about it. I never even told Shirley.

Mom and Dad had their “harmless” affairs, until one day when Dad found out about Bert.

No comments:

Post a Comment