Thursday, January 26, 2012

My Family: Chapter 26

Dad got Aunt Eloise a house up Macbeth hollow and moved her and her kids into a three-room house. Not too long after, I think he realized Mom and Eloise couldn’t live together. It wasn't too soon after Aunt Eloise moved out, Mom and Dad had parties on the weekends at our house. Now instead of my parents going away from Friday to Sunday, they stayed home and party. They’re parties were very popular with standing room only and sometimes you couldn't get in the house. Shirley and I didn't dare go to bed. I bet there was at least a hundred men and women coming and going all night long at our house.
Shirley had her hands full keeping the men out of the bedrooms. Everyone was welcome just bring a bottle of whiskey to get through the door and you could stay to drink and dance all night. Our neighbor would come up to our house to stand guard in our bedroom doorway (we had no door), so the men wouldn’t try and get in bed with us. Aunt Eloise would dance and show us how to do the old country dance steps. Dad tried to show us how to waltz but we kept stepping on his feet. Mostly Shirley and I danced together.

None of our friends came to our house on the weekends. There were usually five girls who were friends and did everything together; Shirley, myself, two other sisters and my one girlfriend. We went everywhere together, if you seen one, you seen all of us. The two sisters were our neighbors when we lived at Orville who had moved to Rum Creek. 

But no one came around on the weekends, because Mom and Dad’s parties gave us a bad name. We found out people thought we where whoring because of all the men my parents had at our house on the weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment