Wednesday, April 4, 2012

My Family: Chapter 62

My parents found an apartment in a house where the stairway went between the bedroom and kitchen of the first floor apartment to get to the second floor apartment, and through the second apartment to get to the attic apartment and we lived on the second floor. The apartment was furnished already so we didn’t need any furniture. It was located off of Main Street on Monroe Street and I walked about four blocks over to Broad Street to catch the bus instead of going downtown and switching buses to go to work. The Beverly sat on the corner of Broad and Livingston. The streets were no picnic to walk.

One day on my way home, a young boy walked up beside me and walked with me. We just walked and talked; when I got to my parent’s apartment, I was about to say goodbye when he grabbed me between the legs! I hulled off and hit him across the face. He took off crying he was going to tell his big brother on me. I went into the house and told Mom about the incident and she tried to get me to change my walking route. I didn’t because it was the easiest and fastest way home. The next morning I had another scare, there was a man following me; he stayed abreast of me on the other side of the street but once we got closer to Broad Street he passed me and crossed over to my side of the street then disappeared between two buildings. I became nervous, so I also crossed the street and as I passed the spot where he had disappeared there he stood waiting for me. A policeman, who I had befriended at the Bev, was at the end of the street. I walked up to him to tell him about the man when I glanced back over my shoulder, the man stood in the street watching us, I never saw him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment