Tuesday, March 20, 2012

My Family: Chapter 54

When Aunt Wanda’s welfare check came in, we would eat well for a week and then starve for three weeks. Her oldest son later said to me before he died that as a child he was always hungry and he had joined the Marines at 16 just so he could eat. I still liked staying with Aunt Wanda even if I didn’t get enough food. It was better than living at home.

I remember I use to send My 3year old cousin to the neighbors to borrow flour, baking powder, and eggs. When she returned, I would fix us something to eat.  But one day the neighbors told her they wouldn’t loan her anything more. I guess I could have went to my Aunt Belvia‘s to eat but I never did. After The baby was born, Wanda moved her family to Man, in one of Aunt Hannah Apartments.

I was beginning to have a problem with Aunt Hannah. Every time I saw her she would talk me into coming and staying with her. I would pretend to be home sick to get away from her. So, I would temporarily go home then I would slip back to Aunt Wanda’s. I remember, I would make her children swear not to tell Aunt Hannah I was at their house. I was able to keep it a secret for about a week then Aunt Hannah would come to Aunt Wanda’s and get me.  She asked me once why I like to stay with Aunt Wanda more than her. It wasn’t as if she was making me do housework nor was I babysitting the boys since they had a yard to play in. But Aunt Wanda was more then just my aunt, she was my friend and we talked like girlfriends.

No comments:

Post a Comment