Wednesday, March 14, 2012

My Family: Chapter 50

On one of my stays home, Sue came for a visit. We got into a fight because Bascom’s sisters told him I had said all this bad stuff about Sue. Truthfully, I don’t know where his sisters heard about Sue’s past from but it wasn’t me.

This is Sue’s story: when she was living with Aunt Belvia and Uncle Noah, she got hard to handle because she was boy crazy. She was 15 years old when they let her go live with my father’s nephew Junior and his family in Detroit. But after about six months, he brought her back to Aunt Belvia’s saying he couldn’t handle her and she was going to get in trouble. He apparently couldn’t keep her out of the bars where she was dancing and singing. None of the rest of the family wanted to be responsible for her, so Aunt Belvia sent her to live in Kentucky with Grandma Dillo who was living with her brother.

That’s how she met Bascom because they all lived up Collin Creek. Sue liked him right away but Bascom thought she was too young to marry or to date. Then Sue either tried to kill herself or she threaten to kill herself, so Grandma Dillo went to see Bascom and talked him into marrying Sue.  Either that or she threatened him because Sue was under age. Sue had told Bascom she never dated before and somehow Bascom sister’s knew that wasn’t true and they didn’t want her to raise the twins from Bascom’s previous marriage.

Sue apologized after the fight and said she knew I wouldn’t have told the sister’s anything about her. The next time I went to stay, they had moved to Collin Road in Kentucky where Bascom had built his first wife a house which Sue had accidentally burned down a couple of weeks after they got married. It had been an electrical fire; she left something burning and gone back to bed after Bascom went to work.

Bascom still owned a good size chunk of the mountain but because they had no house to live in they had to rent. They rented a house right down the road from his parent’s and it came with a piece of land so Bascom wanted to put in a garden. He wanted me to help him, but I was to also help Sue in the house at the same time. I was busy working from 5:00 am to dark because I did all the work. The twins were in their first year of school, and it was my job to iron the dresses which they were to wear to school the night before. All I ever saw Sue do is lie around and read books.

One day, Bascom’s brother and sister came for a visit. His brother and I sat on the back porch while I cried because I heard Sue tell her sister-in-law I was lazy and she couldn’t get me to do anything to help out around the house. I told his brother Sue was lying, and  I did all the work there. I even had to help Bascom in the garden. I was miserable, if I went home I wouldn’t have to lift a finger to do anything, and yet here I was working like a slave. As soon as his brother and sister left, I went in the house and demanded they take me home because I heard what Sue said. Bascom and Sue both begged me not to go. Sue said she had to say that stuff to his sister because Bascom family didn’t like her and she wanted to look good in their eyes. I told her I didn’t care I was still going. Bascom took me home the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment