Tuesday, March 6, 2012

My Family: Chapter 44

When we were teens, I would sit at the kitchen table and watch Shirley pluck her eyebrows. This one day I asked her if it hurt and she said at first it hurt it did but not now that she was used to it. Of course, I begged her to do mine and she warned me it would hurt but I said I could stand it. I was tough.  Well when she pulled one hair, I screamed; she laughed and told me she knew take the pain. Never again did I or anyone else ever pluck my eyebrows. Shirley also sat at the kitchen table and draw dress designs, I could sit and watch her for hours. Sometimes, we would go into Logan and buy leg make-up; the kind you put on your legs to make it look like you have a suntan, but we would put it on our face as make-up instead - it work the same.

Because of my parent’s partying on the weekends, my neighbors in the hollow thought I was fast and easy. When my girlfriend and I would go into the Company store, we were sometimes treated to string of catcalls and teasing.  One woman even said to me she saw me lying on the green (a section of grass up the mountain where we took a lot of pictures) with a boy. After several times like this, my girlfriend and I made up a story of what we were going to say if they teased me again. As we went through the door my friend waits until I get a little ways from her and hollers to me, “Poodie, wasn’t that you I seen in green bottom.”  And I holler back, “No, I thought that was you.” We left the store laughing thinking that the joke was on them when really the joke was on us. We were giving ourselves bad names. 

No comments:

Post a Comment